Are there turtles on Oahu? Yes, there are turtles on every island in Hawaii. The turtles are protected by law and there are high fines for touching them. So before we explain any further: Stay at least 10 feet away from Sea Turtles in Hawaii!
Oahu is the third largest of the Hawaiian Islands. Typically, islands are surrounded by seas and the seas are home to a lot of life forms. Sea turtles are an essential part of sea home.
Turtles are endangered and therefore protected
One of the most important things to know about the Green Sea Turtles is – they are endangered and protected. On most of the beaches where turtles are seen frequently, volunteers are protecting the turtles.
If the sea turtles come on the beach, the volunteers will lay a red rope around them. The red rope helps to keep tourists at least 10 feet (3 meters) away from the turtles. Humans are not allowed to touch the turtles.
Touching a turtle can make you sick! We have bacteria on our hands the turtles can not handle and the other way around. So not only could you harm the endangered turtle, you could also get sick yourself.
Five Things to Know About Hawaii Sea Turtles
- The green sea turtle remains one of the state’s most treasured creatures.
- Native Hawaiians value the sea turtles greatly. This is because of early drawings that depict the etchings of sea turtles.
- Sea turtles are an endangered species.
- They live for about 70 years.
- There’s a “look but don’t touch” rule guarding the turtles because of the danger of extinction.
Beaches with Sea Turtles on Oahu
- Electric Beach: It’s called electric beach because of the electric power plant nearby. It is a good spot for snorkeling with sea turtles.
- Waikiki Beach: It’s a good place for surfing, with other attractive features on the beach like zoo, designer’s stores. Waikiki is a neighborhood in Honolulu.
- Laniakea Beach (aka Turtle beach): nicknamed turtle Beach by the tourists because the sea turtles are seen basking in the sun on the beach.
- Haleiwa Beach: Interesting activities on this beach include fishing, swimming, scuba diving and surfing at this beach other than admiring the sea turtles.
- Aki’s Beach: The sea turtles can be seen before sunrise and after sunset each day.
Other beaches you can find Sea Turtles
- Makua Beach
- Halona Beach Cove
- Kawata Bay Beach Park
Interested in seeing the turtles lounging on the beach? Our experienced tour guides are happy to take you to turtle beach. On our semi-private small group tour we stop at famous Laniakea beach, also called turtle beach. This stretch of beach on the North Shore of Oahu has turtles all year long. Our guides are happy to tell you all about the Turtles on Oahu!
The Perfect Time to find Sea Turtles
The perfect time of the year to see sea turtles are during summer. This is because summer brings about calmer waters which sea turtles love. They are even found on the beach, basking in the sun. They probably like getting tanned 😉
Another way of exploring Hawaii’s underwater world is of course – snorkeling! Here are some interesting facts and tips if you like to snorkel in Hawaii.